Tuesday 13 March 2012

Modernist Alice

Last week I had the opportunity to go to a lecture about one of my favourite childhood books - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Professor Gillian Beer visited Sussex to give a talk on 'Modernist Alice', about how the Carroll books influenced Modernist writers such as Eliot, Joyce and Woolf, as well as other forms of art and new thinking in that era.


by EyeOfMaharet777 @ dA
It wasn't a mind-blowing reinterpretation of the novel, but it was fascinating to see how the logic, words and images Carroll created ended up spanning so many disciplines and influencing so many great minds. It certainly made me think about this funny and magical children's book in a whole new light, and I'm sure that when I revisit the book in the future, the feeling of awe and wonderment it creates will have another, deeper significance. 


I always worried that digging deeper into the books I love would ruin them for me, but I don't think it is as simple as that. We'll never stop loving the books we love for whatever reasons made us love them in the first place - finding out more about them can show us more reasons to admire them.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Aimee and many thanks for the feature on your blog. I really do appreciate it. Lewis Carroll is a huge inspiration for my life and creativity. I personally think that every time I reread either Alice in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass, I find and learn something new about myself or a further, deeper meaning interwoven into the words and poetry. He was brilliant. Thanks again! -Katie Suponch

    ReplyDelete