Monday 19 September 2011

And they lived happily ever after, again, and again, and again...


by kmye-chan @ deviantART

Next year, two new versions of Snow White will be released in cinemas, both twisting the original plot to accommodate a heroine who fights back against the powers that be. In Snow White and the Huntsman, Snow White teams up with the hunter ordered to kill her in the woods, and together they work to vanquish the evil queen. In the as-yet-untitled Snow White, she teams up with the dwarfs to reclaim the kingdom. What a busy girl. 

Anyone who has a quick look on Wikipedia will be able to see how many times this story has been reworked into film, and I'm sure many people are yawning at the thought of two more...but I'm looking forward to it! It at least shows how popular fairytales continue to be, with story lines that intrigue and endlessly enduring themes.

by belialchan @ dA
I also think it's fantastic they're moving away from the realm of 'children's stories' - Disney probably started the trend here, because these days it almost goes without saying that fairytales belong to kids. It's almost a right of passage for a little girl to dress up as her favourite princess.

Anyone who has read The Brother's Grimm stories knows they are dark and creepy, and children couldn't possibly have been the intended audience, unless it was to scare them into learning a lesson. So I think it's nice to see some new takes on the story, aimed at people over the age of 10.

Which one do I like the look of more? That's a toughie...but I have to say, I'm looking forward to seeing Julia Roberts play someone evil, because I've only ever seen her being nicer than nice, flashing that big ol' smile of hers. 

Anyone else excited? Or cynical? Or couldn't care less?!

In the spirit of things I have included some Snow White related art from a few talented artists on deviantART. Click on the links under the pictures to go to their site, and show your support :)
by sadi3-g @ dA
by tom-monster @ dA
   

2 comments:

  1. At the risk of sounding like a gladiator spectator, I kind of hope both movies come out on the same weekend instead of trying to avoid each other. That way, everyone will feel like they have to see them both and there will be a ton of buzz comparing the two. That will happen regardless, but it would be more exciting to watch if they weren't spaced far apart :)

    Personally, I'm not super excited about either movie (Kristen Stewart as Snow White seems like horrible casting), but I'm definitely watching them both closely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it would be great to see some real competition and create some hype! I agree with you about Kristen Stewart, and I think I'm more excited about the idea of fairytales being 'reclaimed' (as it were) by an older audience than the films themselves...although if that's how most people feel than it could cause a problem at the box office...

    And I just want to say I feel honoured you've commented on my blog! Good luck over at D&T, you're doing a great job :) xx

    ReplyDelete